[Printable Version]

Toxic Alerts... 


Book Review

"Our Toxic World"

Current Tips
pg. 1
pg. 2

To common
Home Toxins
pg. 1 pg. 2


pg. 1
pg. 2


West Nile Virus

Letter To
Maricopa Doctors




  Your shampoo, toothpaste, hair sprays and dyes, underarm deodorants, body lotions, creams, perfume, lipstick, bubble bath, shaving preparations, aftershave, deodorants, scented soaps, fingernail polish and polish removers all can contain substances that can make you sick. So many people developed asthma from scented perfume strips in magazines, for example, that many advertisers discontinued them. Remember, what you put on your skin can go directly into your body.
There is little supervision of the cosmetics industry. The FDA does not require manufacturers to register their products or to file safety data on the ingredients used. There is nothing stopping them from putting a number of toxic chemicals in their products. One perfume, for example, can contain over 200 chemicals.
There is no doubt that many products contain numerous substances that can make you ill, and some are known to cause cancer in animals. Many chemicals can damage the skin, cause rashes like hives or eczema or a contact rash on the spot where they are placed. Some can hurt inner organs, cause asthma or hay fever, sudden hoarseness or problems thinking clearly, behaving appropriately or even writing. One giant whiff of a perfume spray, for example, can create a medical emergency and cause some, who are very sensitive, to collapse or be unable to stand and walk. Only about 1% of the population, for example, recognizes they are bothered by perfumes. The number affected is probably much larger. Those who have multiple chemical sensitivities are almost always extremely ill or incapacitated by exposures to innumerable scented items

Let's look at a few examples:Fragrances can contain urine and feces. They can be toxic and cause allergies and changes in behavior.
icial colors or dyes come from coal tar and can contain heavy metals and deposit toxins in the skin. Some cause cancer.
Mineral oil in baby oil sounds safe but it clogs skin pores like a plastic coating. It can lead to premature aging of the skin and cause acne.
Sodium lauryl sulfate is one such product. It is in 90% of personal care products that foam. It can damage cell membranes and possibly cause hair loss. It is commonly found in shampoos. It is used as an engine degreaser and in car washes.
Another substance is called propylene glycol (PG). This is in shampoos, styling gels, body lotions and creams. It is actually antifreeze. Propylene glycol (PG.) weakens skin cells. It’s so toxic those who work with it must wear gloves and goggles.
Cocamide DEA is another substance found in shampoo and bath products. In mice, it can cause liver and kidney cancer.
There is another category called alpha hydroxyl acids. Substances such as glycolic, citric, lactic, malic, or hydroxycaprylic acid can be found in body creams and sometimes in shampoos. These can cause redness, burning, bleeding, blistering, itching, rashes and discoloration. They increase sun sensitivity and therefore the risk of skin cancer.
Polyelthylene glycol (PEG) can cause dry skin, cancer and aging. It is used in oven cleaners and can be in many body products.
Another substance is isopropyl alcohol. This strips the skin of its natural protection barrier.
Mono, di or tri ethanol amines disrupt hormones and produce cancer causing substances such as nitrates and nitro amines that are known to damage the liver and kidney.
DMDM hydantoin and imidazolidinyl urea can release formaldehyde and cause joint pain, heart irregularities and a weakened immune system.
Butyl toluene is used as a fragrance fixative so aromas last longer. One is a nitro-musk compound known to cause weak hind legs in rats and serious nervous system problems and brain cell damage. What does it do to humans?
Tricolsan is similar to the pesticide\defoliant Agent Orange and can cause decreased fertility, birth defects and damage to major body organs.
Fluorides are in most toothpaste's used today. Read the labels. The government has stated it can be unsafe. Children under 7 should not swallow more than a pea-sized amount. If it were unsafe for a small child, why would it be safe in your toothpaste or water, for you or your other children?

Bipolar Illness can Be Linked to Common Food Ingredients.

Did you see the Program on 20/20 the evening of
They discussed Bipolar Illness in children. It is obvious to those who know how to recognize children, who have allergies, that that could certainly be a part or all of these children's problems.
Those who watched were left with the impression that psychiatric help and drugs were the answer for some of the children, but not all of them.  Maybe, if the child was really a challenge, institutionalization was what was needed.

Could this powerhouse on television have missed something? A local
Phoenix station interviewed a mother with an extremely aggressive son and found the answer in the refrigerator. Red dyes, as Dr. Feingold stated in the 70's and I said in the 80's, triggered this boy's reaction.  There are hundreds of thousands of parents who have seen their children become wild and uncontrollable from a highly colored beverage or cereal. When what you read is not what you see in every day life, it means you might want to find out who paid for the study. If there could be a vested interest, look more carefully at the details of the study.
Some of the affected children on the television show had dark eye circles, red ears or cheeks.  As shown on the program, these problems often start in infancy and the terrible twos and go on and on - sometimes through life unless the cause is found.

If the cause is a food, dust, mold, or pollen, the reaction occurs about 10 to 60 minutes after exposure. If the reaction is due to a chemical odor (perfume, disinfectant, a pesticide) the response can be immediate and devastating.


Many are diagnosed as ADHD or ADD. They can attack parents with bats, knives, bottles, sticks, and anything else that is handy. I have seen parents who had bite marks up and down their arms. I have had parents run from their three-year-old child.  Many are afraid of their children and constantly fearful that the phone will ring with one more complaint. Most of these children look allergic and if you can find and eliminate the cause, they stop having difficulty. Sure, the insurance will pay for activity-modifying drugs, but these don't always help and sometime they must be stopped. Sometimes they cause even more serious side effects. The answer is to pay attention to what was eaten, touched or smelled just prior to the attack.

Read: www.mercola.com/2001

If you want to be safe, start to read the fine print on what you buy. Why not purchase your body products at health food stores. You have a better chance of using less toxic and dangerous products.

Important Health Legislation

Doris J. Rapp, M.D. 1421 Colvin Blvd. Buffalo, New York 14223
Phone 716-875-0398 Fax 716-875-5399 E-mail drrappmd@aol.com
© Dr Rapp.com 2004