Lead Poisoning Levels Down, So Is Funding

Our government has recommended lowering the threshold for lead poisoning in children. Under the new recommendation, the definition of lead poisoning for young children would be lowered from 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter of blood to 5 micrograms. However, no amount of lead is okay to have within our system, as even low-level exposure has been shown to reduce IQ, alter behavior in both adults and children, and the development of learning disabilities.

The problem is that it costs money to educate and remedy, and this type of funding is also presently being reduced. The brains of our children are at serious risk. In the long run it will cost much more if we have more children who cannot reach their full potential because of lead poisoning.

Copyright 2012 | DrRapp.com